Monday, January 30, 2012

Celebrating New Hardware

Saturday night I received a shiny piece of glass courtesy of eight fellow business owners. Every month I meet with a small group of presidents, CEOs and/or chief cook and bottle washers in a small conference room for four hours. Each of us represents a different industry, and possesses varied experience and expertise. Our self-imposed jury-like seclusion helps us give our full attention to each others most pressing issues.Together we work to solve each others problems, commiserate and celebrate successes. We are members of The Alternative Board, (TAB) an organization which supports small business owners.

My advisers and friends proved their generous nature by voting me Board Member of the Year (technically, my board celebrated a tie between myself and Jennifer Carter who is owner of Talem, Inc., an environmental lab.) The criteria for the award, as I recall as it was shared with me while I scribbled two names which were not my own a scrap piece of paper, included demonstrates the values of TAB, participates, provides guidance, helps others, etc. Ed Riefenstahl, the executive director for the Fort Worth TAB chapter and TCU professor, gave me the award and a pat on the back. For both, I am grateful.

You have to be a business owner to be a TAB member, but I recommend a board of advisers to everyone. We all need support, wisdom and ideas of those who have no interest or investment in us other than witnessing our continued success.

And to my fellow honorees on my board and the others, congrats!

Jennifer Carter, Talem, Inc.
Steve Denny, Web Active Directory
Marc Meadows, Meadows Analysis & Design

2 comments:

Tom Pryor said...

Congratulations Jamie. I am blessed to know both you and Jennifer. I believe both of you have learned that success comes from persistence, possibly because you are both moms!

Jamie Brown, Consultant said...

Thanks, Tom! You are so kind.