Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Formula for Making Client Relationships Bloom


I work with the best clients. That may sound like "spin" coming from a public relations consultant, but it is true. They are all passionate about what they do, and understand the value of public relations. Many of them I consider more than clients, they are friends, and in one case - practically family.

My clients are concerned about my personal success and often refer me to others. They drop me thank you emails and even pick up the phone occasionally to say thank you for the work I've done. One client even sent me a beautiful flower arrangement on my birthday. Seriously, how could it get any better?

I often think to myself how fortunate I am to work with such great people, and then I remind myself of the formula for developing successful client relationships -

a clear understanding of your client + good communication = success.

When identifying my target client, one of the most key elements is whether or not the individual or company has used a public relations consultant or firm in the past. Those who have worked with PR firms previously are more likely to value the services I bring and understands the benefits of the profession as a whole. This puts me in the position of selling me, not my industry.

Communication, the other half of the equation, is just as important. Once a client has decided my company is a good fit, I do my best to lay out clear and specific expectations. I tell them how much their program will cost, how long it will take, etc. An important point here is setting expectations and being realistic. 

Business development is a challenge for every industry, but the greater challenge is maintaining a positive and mutually beneficial relationship.

No comments: