Thursday, May 31, 2012

Two Emails that Did Great Things for Businesses

I saw this blog post, written by author and entrepreneur Tim Ferriss, and had to share. This is a great example of how humor, ingenuity and a whole lot of sarcasm can catapult your business. His post reminded me of a blog post I wrote not too long ago regarding a successful email I developed on behalf of a client. The email filled up a 90 seat workshop in 90 seconds - no joke. 

The funniest email I ever read came from a physician about five years ago. I was working at a large health system, and the corporate culture was stoic - as you might hope for if you were a patient. Emails were regulated, for necessary privacy and technical reasons, by multiple departments. Rarely did I ever open an email that included anything other than necessary information sent in buttoned-up corporate speak. So, I nearly fell out of my chair when I received this snarky three sentence out of office reply message:
"Been working too much, and had to get the hell out of dodge. I'll be back next week. Vaya con dios."

It was so unexpected that I laughed out loud and sent it to two co-workers. Who were both equally surprised. Furthermore, I read it nearly five years ago and I still remember it. I can't even remember half the emails I opened yesterday!

Not all emails will become viral sensations, but here's some tips on how to make your company's emails just a wee bit more memorable:

-When appropriate, be funny, sarcastic, unexpected, etc. This is how you get remembered.

-Be authentic - I once sent a request through a company's online help form. After filling in all the blanks outlining my question, I got an email back that said - "Hey, thanks for your note. We'll get back to you in 24 hours. Please remember, we handle the nicest requests first." -Loved the gentle reminder that there are actually humans on the receiving end of the email.

-Know your audience and write like they talk.

-If you are uncertain if your email will generate the intended response - test it.

-Keep your focus and remember your intended response? Want to make people smile, get them to sign up for a workshop - don't wander off the trail.

-Keep it simple. Personally, my favorite email of all time is only three sentences long. Maybe some day it will only be two.

No comments: